In desperate search of any gluten-free baking ingredients at my grandma's century-old house in the middle of nowhere: Riston Meneikö, north of the north pole in Finland. And what did I find? Well, coconut, almond, sugar and egg. I'm in love with this recipe, it couldn't be easier!
Meringue Marzipan Muffins
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups shredded coconut
Dark chocolate for drizzling
Preheat oven to 325
1) Seperate egg yolks and whites into two bowls.
2) In the bowl with the egg yolks, add 1/4 cup sugar and whisk together until slightly airy.
3) In a food processor, chop up the almonds until it forms almost a paste. Stir almonds into the yolk/sugar mix.
4) While the almond bowl sits, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Once soft peaks form add sugar, 1 tbsp at a time and whisk until stiff peaks form.
5) Incorporate egg whites with coconut gently.
6) In muffin tins, put one spoon of the almond mix and press down into the tin. Then add a spoon of the coconut mix.
7) Bake 20 minutes or until the muffins turn golden on top.
8) Drizzle with chocolate and serve to your grandmother.